Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub as a support for honeysuckle?

Posted by bonzgirl 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 8, 08 at 15:18

Hello all!

I have one honeysuckle (goldframe?) next to the kitchen side door.

Currently it's planted in cedar planting box w/wood trellis attached to it. It looks ok, but it doesn't look so great in winter time. Even in summer, my honeysuckle gets mildew eventually, doesn't look so pretty on trellis either..

So, I'm in search of medium size shrub (6'-10'tall, 4-5' wide) which my honeysuckle can grow over them. That way, I can still enjoy its beautiful yellow/orange flowers, but don't have to see lots of mildew on trellis.

So far, I'm thinking about BURKWOOD VIBURNUM (Viburnum x burkwoodii) or EUONYMUS. But would love to hear your opinions and if any other suggestions.

I'm planning to use bird net for backup support for honeysuckle until the shrub grow up tall enough to have honeysuckle grow on.

Thanks!
-b

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub as a support for honeysuckle?

I planted them, helter skelter, without much forethought, and the ones at the base of my small Viburnum nudum scrambled up and really seemed to do little harm, although some smaller branches were twisted a little by the weight. I had to pull away the shabby dying vines, at frost. I am more likely to try one or two vines with the Viburnum plicata 'Mariesii'(if that's correct),this coming Summer.
Generally I keep them to my several trellises but they would dress up the dull Summer appearance of my Forsythias and winterberry.

o

If you keep the honeysuckle well pruned, then you shouldn't have too much trouble with any type of substantial shrub. Most honeysuckle vines in the PNW are very vigorous growers and will rapidly produce a dense, tangled vine that in leaf is very heavy. A honeysuckle in my garden that missed pruning one season easily engulfed a large camellia as well as a very mature hardy fuchsia and a nearby containered Japanese maple. The camellia was pretty much unharmed but the weight of the vine pulled over the fuchsia and damaged the top of the maple. I prune the vine back very hard in late winter but it still produces enough growth in a season to be a concern to other nearby plantings.

o

Thank you both for sharing your experience w/shrub + honeysuckle.

Sounds like it can hurt the shrub if I can't keep up on honeysuckle vine...

I'm still interested in trying out w/shrub, but I got another idea... I will try planting annual Hyacinth vine to fill up the bare honeysuckle this summer. If it didn't work, then will plant shrub this fall. :)

Thank you for your advices/info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here