Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdrawkcab

Wanted: Humulus lupulus (hops)

sdrawkcab
17 years ago

I'm looking for 1 or more Humulus lupulus (hops) vines. The cultivar doesn't really matter to me but price and quality of rootstock does. If you know of a reliable online seller or if you have a root you'd divide i would appreciate any info.

Thanks,

backwards

Comments (11)

• msbatt
    17 years ago

I've never grown this, but I just ordered seeds for a variegated form from Summer Hill Seeds. Check 'em out---they have a wonderful selection!

• angie83
    17 years ago

I heard seed have to be coldframed for these to grow.I to have tried with no luck on seeds.

• sdrawkcab
    Original Author
    17 years ago

coldframed? You mean stratified? (allowed a period of cold to simulate winter prior to being planted)

That website is neat and i may order a few things from them but i'm hoping to find rootstock for the hops rathe than trying with seeds.

• angie83
    17 years ago

Yep thats it sorry thats what I ment.

• sdrawkcab
    Original Author
    17 years ago

no probelm. i knew what you were tryign to say. based on the natural range of hops i'd tend to agree it probably does need a period of cold to be viable.

anoyone else know a source for rootstock?

• angie83
    17 years ago

I got mine on ebay last year the grew nicely but they look dead now from our winter weather still hope to see them repop up but might get some off ebay myself to make sure Im ready for them cats this year.

• mfyss
    17 years ago

Greenhouse man here is growing hops from wild growing local plants (Illinois). Just seedlings but getting up the poles quickly. Sandy Reebel, on another forum, is also after hops. Yale

• julia
    17 years ago

Try Nichols Garden Nursery or Freshops. If Theatrum Botanicum can reopen this spring, they also have a selection of root cuttings. Home brewing web sites or local micro brewers are other sources. Most sources do not have root cuttings until March and they sell out very quickly.

You do want roots as you can be assured of the variety and the sex (F) of the plants. Seeds notoriously fail to produce the anticipated variety.

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

Pinetree also sells the rhizomes. Many of the websites that have to do with "home brewing" sell hops rhizomes as well. You can check them out on Garden Watchdog to see what their rating is.

I ordered 3 to plant this spring from Pinetree. I like their seeds, and hopefully their rhizomes will be good as well. I am growing mine for the Question Marks, Commas, and other butterflies that use Hops as a host plant. The females are the ones that produce the hops, though. I think you may need at least one male in order to get good hops if you're growing it for home brewing purposes.

Susan

• chesnokred
    17 years ago

Here is a link to an excellent website which sells hop rhizomes and has lots of growing information.

http://www.freshops.com/

• enjayare
    15 years ago

I had great success with winter sowing hops seed but my plant is 4 years old and I have NO flowers.(It's still a great plant -- this time of year it's AMAZING how fast it shows up) I think you are safer with rhizomes so you know you are getting female plants.