Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this vine/groundcover?

Posted by armyofda12mnkeys 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 29, 11 at 16:51

Hello all,
I got rid of this groundcover last year. I used to think its pretty, until I had to dig it up last summer. I believe it also grows up trees and sticks to the tree too hence why I am posting it here as it may be a vine. So it is a groundcover plant and also becomes a sticky vine.

I took a pic of it today:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7979944@N04/5398669923/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Usually it involves me digging a bunch taking out the vine roots, and then digging more the next week to make sure I got it all, Then cut it at the tree level. I took like a month last year haha.

I just wanted to know what it is, and instead of spending so much time digging, if there was some control products out there to try out.

Thanks!,
Arian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this vine/groundcover?

It's boston ivy and is heck to get rid of - digging deep is the only way to get rid of it - has underground runners that go deep and far. I wish you the best of luck in getting rid of this menace - been there, done that!

o

Thanks kayjones. nice to know what it is...
I'll get on top of digging then...

BTW Found this, wonder if any herbicides will work:
http://www.ehow.com/way_5492096_way-kill-boston-ivy.html

Maybe, I can also try a "herbicide containing glyphosate" like Roundup. I read the ivy is pretty resistant to glyphosate. Saw some people tried mixing it with a 'surfactant' like dishwashing liquid and applying or putting the cut vine in Roundup so plant repeated absorbs alot of Roundup.

or something with 'triclopyr' as I saw some people use that. Not sure what the results of any of those herbicides were.

o

Just one point. The picture does not show the plant most commonly referred to as Boston ivy (Parthenocissus tricuspidata) which is a deciduous creeper. It actually shows common ivy ('English' ivy in the US) ie Hedera helix, an evergreen. You need to be looking for treatments for Hedera helix to be sure of the right advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here