Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patman468

I don't know what this is? Please help me if you can.

Patman468
11 years ago

I found this growing on a vine, hanging on the fence, in Wintergarden FL.

Comments (5)

• kayjones
    11 years ago

It looks like the seed pod of a milkweed to me. Do you have a picture of the vine, with leaves/blooms?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb! Whatever it is, it doesn't look ripe yet.

What kind of milkweed vine is there, Kay? An Asclepias? If you don't mind, I'd love to hear more about this. Still have so much to learn about southern plants.

P.S. I don't do fingernail polish, but if I did, it would be like that. Pretty!

• Patman468
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Kayjones I will get some pic's of the rest of the vine and leaves. It did have a milky sap when it was cut.

Thanks Purpleinop, those are my daughters hands, I needed a hand model.

• karyn1
    11 years ago

This was posted on NTP also. The more I look the more I agree that it's a Cruel vine (Araujia sericifera). I think the shell is a bit thicker then average but it normally has a much thicker shell then other milkweed type plants. When ripe my seeds are much darker but those might still be viable. It's also called False Stephanotis, amongst other names, and the flowers look and smell similar to the stephanotis. My only complaint about this plant is that it sometimes kills the moths that nectar on it, hence the name Cruel vine. The flower will trap the moth's proboscis and will usually release it by morning. Sometimes the moth isn't released and other times it struggles so to get away that it dies in the process.

• ladyrose65
    11 years ago

That looks like Chayote fruit?