Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evergreen Vine To Fill In Privets

Posted by greenesmith Zone 7 (NYC) (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 4, 10 at 22:32

Our new house has old, sparse, 20 foot privet bush hedge borders. Problem is the tall privets are bare trunks for first 4 feet or so of their height- just wood stalks. Know can cut the privets down to promote lower leaf growth, but like the height of them, the sort of loose secret garden effect of privets' unkempt old growth, and like looking out at privot "canopy" from our 2nd floor windows.

Which has me trying to figure out ways to maintain narrow profile of the border (which is edge to 4 foot wide shade plant bed)while filling in the bare bottom and blocking out neighbor's adjacent AC units.

Looking for a not invasive evergreen vine that's winter hardy in NYC Zone 7 - that I can train to grow around bare privet bottoms - that's dense enough to create privacy screen - and will grow in part sun / more shade. Spring/summer flowers and/or fall berries would be a bonus. I am not an Ivy fan, which makes this even harder.

All info very much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evergreen Vine To Fill In Privets

Not alot of evergreen vines to pick from in NYC especially that will flower in part shade but check out Gelsemium sempervirens(Carolina Jasmine)and Bignonia capreolata(Cross Vine). Years ago they were considered strictly southern plants but there are newer cultivars that are hardy and evergreen in zones 5/6. Good Luck!

o
RE: Evergreen Vine To Fill In Privets

Forgot to mention on the Gelsemium sempervirens you want to look at the cultivar'Margarita'.That one is working just fine for me here in CT.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here