Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlekirstenjr

Indoor hedera helix

littlekirstenjr
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a hedera helix (English ivy) to pot indoors and I'm trying to find the best conditions for it. It's variegated, which may be causing me some difficulties. I read to put it in direct light, and so I did. Soon after I noticed some of the leaves seemed "burned." I've been misting it from time to time but I noticed It hasn't grown much at all since I planted it. I just wanted to get some advice on the best indoor conditions for this plant.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• kioni
    10 years ago

Hi Kirsten. Nice plant, I love Ives but they give me grief because spider mites do also, so google that and keep on the lookout for them.

I'm in a cooler and more northern location so my advice may need to be watered down some . If that were my plant, I would not have set it in a larger pot at this time of year - shortest days of sunshine and weakest rays (up here) means the plant is just going to sit and do very little until about mid February, when I start to notice fresh growth on all my house plants.

As a general rule, variegated plants require more sun (length of time in it or exposure) than all green versions of the same type/cultivar/species. In my northern location, I would be graduating the ivy to one of my sunnier spots. I would do this by situating it so that it receives a bit of sun for a few days to a week, and then every few days increase its exposure - as long as it isn't showing negative signs. It would show me the light levels are sufficient by the variegation markings on the new growth.

But Texas? I would think it could not handle full sun through a window, even sheer drapes or tilted blinds might help with that.

I grow a variegated variety outdoors in summer, only a couple hours of gentle early morning sun keeps the variegation bright and crisp. Winters if not in my sunniest spot, the leaves go all green and the plant isn't as robust.

Hope this helps you and your new plant.

• jcalhoun
    10 years ago

I have hedera helix growing in a pot with purple passion. It's a nice looking combination of dark purple and deep green. I keep it near a window but not in bright sunlight.

It's been a slow grower but look very healthy.

Just be aware that they are invasive in many areas so if you decide you don't want it anymore destroy it.

• littlekirstenjr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Kioni,

Thank you very much for the thorough reply. I agree with you that the pot was too large so I actually moved it back to a smaller pot and it seems to be doing better. The pot drains better and it's making for a happier ivy. I'm finally having new growth and I've been giving it filtered light. Now that I think of it, when I bought it at the nursery, it was in complete shade all day. It must have been a shock when I put it in direct light! Looking forward to the spring when I hope it lives up to its reputation of being a vigorous grower

I just think the variegated ivies are the prettiest plants. I want mine to be a happy guy without more sunburns :)

Hi jcalhoun,

Understood! I'm keeping this guy an indoor plant only so I'll have no worries about it becoming invasive.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH