Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arctictropical

Last year's 'Blue Moon' Wisteria pics

arctictropical
14 years ago

Since these pics were deleted for some reason in a previous post, here they are again:

Comments (10)

• carol23_gw
    14 years ago

Very pretty! The species name is not listed on the USDA database. Perhaps it is the same as Wisteria frutescens, a native Wisteria.

I've seen 'Amethyst Falls' which was also beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisteria frutescens

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks carol. Yes, I believe 'Blue Moon' is an extemely hardy variety (zone 3) of our native frutescens.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago

Your 'Blue Moon' photos give me hope that I might have similar results here in zone 3, or at least I can hope!

Terry

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Terry, this is the one to grow in zone 3! Two reasons....vine hardiness, and it blooms on new wood, so there are no flower buds to winter kill. I haven't had an inch of die back on these vines. Go for it! We haven't had -40 F. to -45 F. since I planted these (Which I've experienced a couple of times in the last several decades), but it's supposed to be good down to -40 F., so worth trying in your climate.

Kevin

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    14 years ago

'Blue Moon' is an incredibly hardy seedling of Wisteria Macrostachya (Kentucky Wisteria), in case anyone is wondering what variety it is.

• moonwolf_gw
    14 years ago

That is one beautiful wisteria! I heard and read it's not invasive like the Chinese or Japanese wisteria, which makes me want to try it someday. I hear the fragrance is wonderful too! Where can we find it for sale?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Brad, there are several nurseries on the web that offer 'Blue Moon'. Here are some that I am aware of:

Bloom River Gardens
    Forest Farm
    Rarefind Nursery

Yes, this wisteria is not as invasive as the oriental varieties. The fragrance is very pleasant. Not as strong nor sweet as the Chinese wisterias, but still very nice! I've been very pleased with how soon it flowers. There were actually flower buds on the one gallon plants that I purchased 3 years ago. I've got two other neighbors that bought some at the same time, and they have had the same sucess. I would highly recommend it.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago

Kevin, last spring I had planted an established 'Blue Moon', by autumn it had spread a good 15 ft in two directions. The new wood was still rather green late in the season and I was concerned this would freeze, though warm weather continued and these had hardened off nicely, thankfully! The winter was on the mild side with only a few bitterly cold nights and I'm hoping the vine will show little dieback.

Kevin, did you amend the soil by adding compost or manure? I've read that one must avoid giving wisteria too much nitrogen, otherwise you'll get all vine and no blooms.

Terry

• arctictropical
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Terry, I did nothing to the soil. All I did is dig two small holes under the brick pad of the trellis bench which was in place at the time, in order to plant them. I added no compost or anything. The only fertilizer I give it now and then is some high phoshorous fertilizer (Miracle Grow Bloom Buster, I think) that I have dissolved in some water. They seem to grow without too much attention or special care. Yes, it is true.... you don't want to give it much if any, nitrogen fertilizer. Good luck this year! I'm sure it will probably do well, and bloom well for you. Please post some pictures. Thanks!

Kevin

• moonwolf_gw
    14 years ago

Brushwood Nursery also sells it. Unfortunately, they're out of stock at the moment. I check the other nurseries.
    Thanks, artictropical!

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus