Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmp2z

Using Star Jasmine for Groundcover?

hmp2z
16 years ago

Hi! I am in Zone 9b in Florida, and I am a complete gardening newbie. We have this area in our yard that no one uses - it doesn't get any foot traffic at all. What I'd like to do is cover it with star jasmine, to get a nice fragrance. 1. Is it possible to use star jasmine as a groundcover? 2. Is there a certain way I need to train the plant to grow along the ground, instead of up? 3. What is "pinching the vine"? I have read about doing this to make it grow faster, but I don't know what it is or how to do it.

Thank you for your help!

Heather W

Comments (4)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    16 years ago

Are you speaking of Trachelospermum jasminoides, commonly called Confederate Jasmine? I've not seen that successfully used as a ground cover, per se, but it's 'sister' plant, Trachelospermum asiaticum does wonderfully in that roll. But without the flowers.

• houstonnewbie
    16 years ago

I'm in Houston and also looking to plant Confederate Jasmine as a ground cover. Has anyone successfully planted it as a ground cover? If so - how many would you plant and how far apart in a 10x2ft area?
    I would also appreciate your help!

• saminsane
    16 years ago

I have star jasmine in the beds at work and am considering clippings for my own garden. That's how I happened to find this forum and thought I would share what little knowledge I've found on better homes and gardens (bhg.com) I love that site though it only really has the most common plants - not many hard to find ones. good luck.

Trachelospermum
    Star jasmine

Evergreen Groundcover , Perennial , Vine

USDA Zones: 8 - 9

Light: partial - full shade

Height: 6 feet

Width: 4 feet

Flower Colors: creamy white or yellow

Bloom Time: summer

Special Features:
    Flowers
    Fragrant

Grown for its legendary fragrance, this is an excellent, glossy evergreen vine or loose ground cover for the mild-climate garden. It climbs to a manageable 6 feet and is perfect for a small trellis. It produces the heavenly-scented star-like white or yellow flowers in early summer and sporadically thereafter.

Notable Varieties
    Confederate or star jasmine (Trachelospermum jasminoides) blooms in white. Yellow star jasmine (Trachelospermum asiaticum or Rhynchospermum asiaticum) blooms in yellow.

Care
    Prefers average to rich, well-drained soil with plenty of moisture.

Planting
    Plant established plants in spring or fall, spacing 5 feet for vines and 3 feet for a ground cover.

Pests and Diseases
    Whiteflies, scale, and mites can be a problem

Here is a link that might be useful: bhg.com - Trachelospermum

• ankraras
    16 years ago

If I may add a hobbyist opinion ;- I would not hesitate to use T. jasminoides or/and T. asiaticum. I really don't think you need to pinch, trim or train unless you want to confine it in a certain area. Both plants natural habit is creeping along where ever there is room available. If you do not wish for it to go upright just don't provide any thing near by for it to try to climb on. Good Luck!

Both are on my most favorite plants list!

{{gwi:68416}}

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County