Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine for arbor in the shade~Fast growing

Posted by nandw 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 15, 09 at 12:17

I need information on vines that will grow well in shade. Also, needs to be something safe for kids & dogs. I would like to start from seed but would consider anything!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine for arbor in the shade~Fast growing

Polygonum aubertii (aka silver lace vine) does very well in shade and it stunning when it blooms. Sweet Autumn Clematis (aka Clematis paniculata) also does very well. Both grow very fast and bloom fragrant white blooms - looks like it snowed when they bloom!

o
RE: Vine for arbor in the shade~Fast growing

I've been researching Akebias. Some research says it can be invasive, but most posts say its not. It produces an edible fruit in 3-5 years. The vine itself is gorgeous with big leaves. Most posts say it prefers shade. It grows from seed, you may be able to get someone from the exchange forum to send you something. It is supposed to grow really fast. I just ordered mine from Raintree Nursery, I've bought lots of things from them before, paper catalog and online, located in WA., dependable, nice people. They had several varieties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here