Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Morning Glory - red cotyledons?

Posted by MandyRose9 none (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 13:00

Hello everyone!

I've been growing morning glories for a few years now, and I just started up this year's seeds. One of my purpureas (not sure of the exact color flower) has a red stem and cotyledons! All of the other plants are green, or green tinged with purple.

I tried searching for this and didn't come up with any answers. Is this a common thing? Does it relate to a specific kind of morning glory? (I know that light colored seeds for morning glories tend to mean lighter colored flowers, but wasn't sure if red stems had a significance).

Thanks!

This post was edited by MandyRose9 on Thu, Feb 28, 13 at 13:02

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Morning Glory - red cotyledons?

The reddish may be related to how the stored forms of pre-active chlorophyll gradually become active and green in addition to the presence of reddish-purple pigments that are usually an indication of flower color and increased health.

The cotyledons are more than likely going to turn green as they are exposed to increased light.

The hypocotyl pigmentation will likely remain pigmented and (as you thought) may indicate that the plant may produce darker colored flowers.

Please do a followup on that particularly reddish seedling so that we can all enjoy learning what changes it may go through and what the matured plant produces.

best,

Ron

P.S. - What climate zone are you in (if you don't mind me asking)...(?)

This post was edited by ron_convolvulaceae on Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 21:29

o

Thank you for the response!
- Of the seedlings I have so far, all of the ones from "pale" seeds are bright green.
- The four heavenly blue (darker blue flower) seeds are green with some faint purple veining in the leaves.
- 2 of my purpureas are green, while I now have 2 purpureas like the one pictured above.

I will definitely post a followup when the plants grow and produce flowers. I'm very curious to see if darker seed leaves mean darker flowers later on.

PS: I'm in zone 8.

o

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 12:15

Hi MandyRose9,

I'm so happy to see other persons posting their morning glory images.

Your seedlings look very happy and healthy. The red cotyledons on the I. purpurea should become green as they unfold and extend to take in the available light.

What variety is it?

Joseph

o
RE: Morning Glory - seed color in relation to flower color

MandyRose - You asked :

"I'm very curious to see if darker seed leaves mean darker flowers later on. "

There are white flowered I.purpurea that have black seeds and there are light seeded strains of I.nil that produce dark blue in the flowers ...

The answer is usually but not always.

best,

Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here