Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

Emerald Creeper (Jade Vine, Strongylodon)

bihai
17 years ago

My Jade Vine is going to bloom. There's nothing really unusual about that, this is the third year for it to bloom...but the spectacular thing is, this year, I have over FIFTY racemes of flowers that are going to bloom! The first year I had one, last year I had 2. This year, OVER 50! I am amazed. Some "critical mass" must have been reached.

Here is a photo of one of the largest ones that is about to pop open, and a few smaller ones still developing.

I do trade rooted sections of this vine from time to time, LMK if interested. Its rare, kinda expensive, I'd want something also sorta unusual in trade, check my list

{{gwi:1335348}}

Comments (8)

• karyn1
    17 years ago

That's a spectacular plant! I've been looking for one for a while. Of course one of the tropical nurseries I buy from had them on sale in 1 gallon containers about a month ago but it was too cold to ship to my zone. I'd love to see a pic of your vine when the blooms open up. Do you have the red variety also?
    Karyn

• bihai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Karen,
    if you don;t have a greenhouse in your zone and are not willing to dedicate a significant amount of space for this vine in the greenhouse, it won't do all that well. If you DO have a greenhouse and want to trade, LMK. I will post some more pics when it really opens up.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Bihai I have two greenhouses, one commercial sized and a smaller one that's about 30'x 15'. Keeping the vine isn't the problem I just don't think I have anything that interesting to trade! lol I'd still love to see pics when the blooms open.
    Karyn

• bihai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Karen,
    yep you could keep it if you keep the temps up to about 55-60 at night.
    Sorry I can't interest you in a trade.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I'd love to trade I just don't think I have anything that's terribly interesting. lol I have plumeria seedlings, passiflora seedling hybrids and rooted named passies, iochroma seedlings and a few other things. If you are interested in anything like that I'd love to trade.
    Karyn

• bihai
    Original Author
    17 years ago

its more open now...getting better and better
    {{gwi:1305292}}

• karyn1
    17 years ago

That's the nicest Jade vine I've ever seen. I've seen them in a few different conservatories and yours is by far the nicest. How long have you had it? The blooms are such an unusual color. There's only a few other plants that I've seen with a similar color, one's a puya and the other is something in the hyacinth family, can't remember what it's called. Keep the pics coming. I check the forum often to see if you've posted new pics of this beauty.
    Karyn

• sarahmloy_yahoo_com
    16 years ago

How can I force a bloom? We live in Hawaii and have a jade vine that is almost 3. It bloomed once but hasn't done it again. It seems healthy and huge, but doesn't bloom. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions