Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xentar_gw

Bunch Grape Ressurection

xentar_gw
14 years ago

Originally, I planted 2x venus, 2x black spanish, 1x black monukka, and 1x champanel bunch grapes in some really low land in Florida. One of the venus bunch grapes died, both black spanish lived, either the black monukka or the champanel lived while the other died. Unfortunately, I must have lost the plastic tags on them and don't know which one lived and which one died lol.

Anyway, this morning, I decided to dig the bunch grapes up and put them in larger containers, around the 3-5 gallon size range, to get their feet out of the water. To my amazement, one of the black spanish grapes had about 8 huge roots that went down about three feet into the muck. When I dug it up and pulled it out, it looked like a muddy octopus!

Last night, I also bought a 'Lake Emerald' bunch grape from Lowes, which is suppose to be a small white or green grape bred for Florida in the 1950s I believe.

As of right now, I'm considering getting a blanc du bois and maybe a southern home grape to finish off the collection, but I'm wondering if trying to replace the black monukka or champanel wouldn't be such a bad idea, for container growing. Anyone know anything about these grapes in Florida?

Maybe putting these grapes in a container vs the ground will make them a little more happy and productive. I'm hoping!

Comment (1)