Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

How To Root Var. Golden Chalice Cuttings?

aveo5
13 years ago

Hi. I have grown the green Golden Chalice plant for years,and gotten its cuttings to root 50% of the time by just sticking them in water, then when root buds appeared, put it in a good light soil mix, and I would get a lot more rooted cuttings. BUT I finally have some 'Variegated Golden Chalice Vine' that I want to get cuttings from. It has been a sickly tiny plant for nearly 5 years. This past winter for some reason it decided to finally grow! I now have 3 large long stems, with a bud at each end!!! This is the first time I will see it flower, I dont even know if it is a different flower or not. BUT the plant is definitely different, and I still have little to take risk with, to loose to cuttings. BUT I have 3 long stems, about 2-3 feet long, with one bloom at the end of each stem. I want to get more plants. BUT my water rooting technique is only 50% reliable.

So...does anyone know how to root this thick woody 'vine' and get a better than 50/50 shot at rooted cuttings? Should I try air layering? How is that done? Or is my water way the way to go? I am so excited to get blooms. The blooms even look variegated! So I think I might get some white on my golden blooms! For some reason it decide to grow, from a sickly 1 foot long stick for over 5 years, to 3 long 2-3 foot long stems with a bloom at the end of each stem, this past winter. I am now waiting for the blooms to open, then once they are gone, I want to get cuttings, but I will only have this one shot at it. I will dig up the plant, and hopefully save it, and move it to a more convenient place, to enjoy it. The green variety is like a weed in my yard, I love it! So I would like to move this one nearer to it. But I need more of it. So...any ideas on rooting cuttings of this plant? Thanks for any help.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm