Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How To Start a Sweet Potato Vine

Posted by kanders z4 SD (kathyk@gwtc.net) on
Sat, Feb 25, 06 at 22:31

Has anyone ever heard of starting a sweet potato vine from the sweet potato itself?? How would a person do it? Any ideas?

thanks
Kanders

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How To Start a Sweet Potato Vine

Funny that you should ask that! Today I was tidying up in the kitchen and discovered that one of my sweet potatoes was sprouting quite a bit-- I could actually see true leaves! Okay, moving right along: (bad housekeeping, I admit)--

I've decided I'm going to cut a chunk off of the tuber and plant in a hanging basket, just leaving the very very top top top bit of peel at the soil surface-- basically just treat it like a seedling. I'm going to do it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes!

Amanda 'romando'

o

Here in Spain we grow them regularly as a house plant in water. I have had them with over 6' long branches and flowers. Stick 3 or 4 skewers in the sides and position it so just the base touches the water (I use one of those huge brandy balloons that were all the rage years ago). If you add a piece of vegetable charcoal (barbecue type) the water will not become smelly and you just have to top it up as it evaporates.

o

Hi All,

The Morning Glory known as Ipomoea batatas or Sweet Potato can easily be started and grown as as vine...The leaves are very edible and can be used as a salad green or as a stir fried vegetable...

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Grow A Sweet Potato Starting with a Tuberous Root

o

If anyone would like to see photos of the sweet potato plant (slips) I started from a regular store bought sweet potato feel free to check out this link to my garden journal:
http://indianagardening.blogspot.com/2008/05/growing-sweet-potatoes.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Northern Indiana Backyard Gardening

o

I just got ahold of what is called "purple yam" at an International Market in Nashville, TN. Am wondering which end you stick in the water? Does anybody know? or does it matter? I did notice what looked like root hairs, but not having had any of these wasn't sure how to proceed with them. I believe these are the Okinawan. Hopefully they weren't irradiated, and will grow.

Thank you...

E

o

have a numberof plants growing from the eyes of potato. As long as tator remains hard you can continue to use i to get more pamts. Hsve so far harvesed about 10 potatoes they're small but I'm growing them in a pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here