Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trumpet Vines or Virginia Creepers

Posted by jjb2003 DC (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 23:21

I'm planning on attaching a trellis to a fence in my backyard, in addition to a cattle panel fence between the backyard and driveway. It's worth noting that I have a vegetable garden close by both these areas. I'm looking to plant a a type of vine on these new additions that is more or less native to Washington, D.C., provides pretty and full coverage, is hardy and a fast grower. We'd like the vine to serve as a living privacy fence.

Based on this, I've narrowed it down to trumpet vines and Virginia creepers, thought I've read mixed comments about both.

Any strong preferences and words of advice? Really appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trumpet Vines or Virginia Creepers

Another one to consider is Lonicera sempervirens.

o

Both Trumpet Vine (Campsis radicans) and Virginia Creeper can be horribly invasive. I would NOT recommend planting either of these, especially near a garden plot.

o

Thanks for your advice! Lonicera sempervirens sounds like it could be a great fit. Would it be good as a living privacy fence, though? And is it a fast grower?

Any opinions on English Ivy?

o

The honeysuckle is an excellent suggestion - makes a very good privacy screen compared to Virginia creeper or trumpet vine, both of which are deciduous and naked half the year.

AFA English ivy is concerned, take the comments about the invasive qualities of the previous two vines and multiply by 10. Not an option that should be considered.

o

I had the most beautiful gazebo covered trumpet vine,red.The muskrats in pond chewed every root of the plant off.Totally killed my trumpey vine,I could have cried..

o

@ msbatt a native species can not be invasive only aggressive. Invasives refer to alien species.

I would do coral honeysuckle....well behaved, native, and provides food for hummingbirds.

o

Took a lot of money and patience to hire people to come and rip out that row of trumpet vines someone planted! I pray they got it all! I'll replace with wine grapes or something useful! Rats live in that mess, you know?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here