Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
river_crossroads

Vine selection 8b, need vine for shade

Hi all! I'm looking for a vine that will give me shade in the summer in zone 8b central Louisiana. My patio faces west but gets shadows at times during the day from neighboring buildings (I live in a condo), so it's probably part sun, but blazing sun at other times. Very hot from the concrete. I've bought nylon cord webbing that Burpee sells for vegetable vines; the vine will have good support. I prefer a perennial but I want sun in the winter so I can either cut the vine back or get something that will die back like morning glory.

Not MG, tho', as I'm still trying to ID the seeds I bought & my neighbor's MG to avoid cross pollination / cross fertilization.

In the meantime I want to start seeds or get plants for something else, something that I could take out if the pretty MG will work. An investment of a little time & money are worth it to me when I think of the hot sun & possible high air conditioning bill. Are there some kinds of sweet pea vines or passion flower that aren't invasive? Or can you recommend something else?

I've got a pink/purple theme with dwarf katie pink Mexican petunia (ruellia) - invasive!, purple coneflower, pink cuphea (cigar plant), pots of magenta geranium and pink bronze-leaved begonias. Thanks so much for any & all help!

rivercrossroads1803@yahoo.com

(aka kafka00 on DG)