Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a pet friendly container vine for partial shade

Posted by paulsiu 10a (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 2:26

I am looking for vines with the following area and specification:

* Location is Walnut Creek, CA. USDA zone 9a-10a and sunset zone 14-15.
* This will be on a covered patio 8x20 facing Northeast. There is morning sun, but one side of the patio has more filter light from evergreen tree across the street.
* Weather will be quite dry most of the year except winter.
* Plants will be grown in containers using some cord trellis hooked to the ceiling, so it can't be too massive.
* There is a cat, so plant cannot be poisonous.
* Irrigation are not allowed by the HOA, so perhaps a self-watering pot will be used to reduce watering intervals.
* Plant should have pretty flower. Attracting hummingbird is a plus. Leaves should stick around all year.
* Flowers cannot be white and should not have a strong scent.
* A long bloom time for flowers.
* Vine should be easy to grow.

Based on the criteria, I was thinking about the following:

* Clemantis - I have grow some variety in partial shade. IT takes a while to get established.

* Trumpet Vines - attracts humming bird, but may not work in partial sun.

* Black Eyed Susan Vine - unknown.

* Bougainvillea - may require more light than the patio can support.

* nasturtium - it's edible, so it must be safe for pet?

Anyone have opinons?

Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a pet friendly container vine for partial shade

Clematis don't bloom nor hold their leaves year around.

Trumpet vines grow up through trees, so not a lot of sun is needed and they are drought-tolerant. They do hold their leaves year around. They also bloom most of the year.

Black eyed susan vine will look crappy in a short time - spider mites consider this vine a smorgasboard and eat at it constantly, plus, it requires lots of water. It is also an annual, so will die when it gets really hot and humid.

Nasturtium requires regular watering and is an annual, so won't last year around. It also gets hit with a virus that is difficult to control.

o

Looks like Trumpet vines and clemantis are poisonous. The only non-poisonous ones I can find are Jasmine, climbing roses and honey suckle.

o

Well, there you have it - make a choice and let us know what you chose.

This site, from the ASPCA, has a loooooong list of poisonous and non-poisonous plants for animals:

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/plant-list-dogs.aspx?print=t

Here is a link that might be useful: Toxic and non-toxic plants for animals per the ASPCA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here