Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oath5

What type of morning glory do you think I may have?

oath5
14 years ago

Hi there, I dont have any pictures but I was wondering if anybody could help tell me identify the type of morning glory that we have growing on my family's property. Our house dates back to I believe either the twenties to thirties, a small farm house. We have a fence, and at least for the past 20 years, as long as I've been alive, there have been small morning glories at certain spots reseeding themselves. Since my dad built the fence, I would imagine he might have planted them, I need to ask if they were just there. I used to plant morning glories as a child on our fence but these are different. They are not as big as 'Heavenly Blue' but the flowers are indeed blue-purple and about 1/3 smaller than 'Heavenly Blue'. They twine on anything very tightly, not like said cultivars which grow over EVERYTHING kind of carelessly. The leaves too are quite different, small and trilobed with deeply cut leaves, much like the ivy-leafed ones but much, much smaller leaf size. The seed pods are big, fat and round, close to the stem as opposed to being pendulous.

Anybody know what I may be dealing with? I love them, they have a very tidy non-invasive habit compared to most Morning glories. Is it a species?

Thanks!

- Max

Comment (1)