Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions for a vine that can survive Aussie heat...

Posted by Molpadia none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 5:05

Hello,

I was hoping to plant a vine along my wire fence line for a little more privacy. I have tried searching but there are so many different types (eg: all the different Morning Glory's) and such, that perhaps a few suggestions to set me on the right path would be better.

It needs to be able to handle the heat in Central Queensland, my back yard floods during heavy rain so it would need to be able to cope with a lot of water occasionally and finally, not toxic to cats and dogs.

Sorry for the fussy check list. But any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions for a vine that can survive Aussie heat...

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 7:57

Try a native species, perhaps?

o
RE: Suggestions for a vine that can survive Aussie heat...

Both considered a bit over the top on the coast, but I was going to suggest either Pyrostegia venusta (orange flowers) or antignon leptopus (pink) Both vigorous but probably the first would be better as it's denser and more evergreen. And fast-growing.
Also possibly passionfruit vines - with the benefit of a crop?
Another option might be bougainvilleas but they would be slower growing initially and of course thorny.
Whatever you grow, consider giving it the benefit of planting a few at intervals and letting them fill in the gaps, and to avoid the waterlogging, plant them in a raised position, either in a mound, or in large planters with the bottoms cut out, or even in a mound made of a few tyres to get a lot of the root system above ground, then provide extra mulching.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here