Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What colorful vines can I plant on a SHADED wooden fence?

Posted by motherjan z5 N.E. OHIO (motherjan@wowway.com) on
Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 6:29

There are 3 large pine trees above the fence with their roots making it hard to plant, but I would love a very colorful fast-growing vine that will cover it.
Perennial, please. Should I purchase chicken wire to hold the vines? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What colorful vines can I plant on a SHADED wooden fence?

It is indeed very hard to plant under pines as they make the soil very acidic. How shady is your shade?
A native vine tolerant to acidic soils might do OK for you if you get enough sun. Some lonicera are hardy to zone 5, passiflora can take some shade in certain zones (you might not have enough sun for them), and trumpet vine can take some sun but it gets really heavy and grows large!

o
RE: What colorful vines can I plant on a SHADED wooden fence?

Just an idea to throw out after reading ggg's post - Brushwood Nursery & Sunlight Gardens sell a lot of native vines. With a few exceptions Brushwood only sells vines & climbers. Sunlight is much smaller & only sells natives & naturalized.

You might e-mail Brushwood owner Dan Long or Sunlight owner Andy Sessions, talk about your pine trees, include how much light you think the vine might get from which direction, you want fast growing if possible, want colorful, ask if they have anything they would sell you for that spot & if they recommend chickenwire or what for it to climb on your wood fence. Include where you live. Then research extensively before actually buying the recommendation.

Personally I only want to bother someone if I really am going to buy from them if all works out. The next town over from me is called Pineville, Louisiana, so I can't help being interested. Please update us here if you find something that works. P.S. Sunlight has a min order so you could buy several plants to put all along the fence. I bought 2 plants from Brushwood once & don't remember any min order but web pages will tell you. Good luck!

Here are links that might be useful: Brushwood Nursery
Sunlight Gardens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here