Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wisteria help

Posted by vickz5 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 15, 09 at 8:15

my wisteria vine is 11+ yrs old(bought it at reputable garden center-since lost tag)...i can't wrap my fingers around its trunk anymore, as trunk is larger than most of my ornamental trees. it has never bloomed! for the most part i'm keeping it contained in size no more than 6-8' from the main trunk. it would be a tree form now if i didn't have it so close to my garage.. last few years in mid summer(when i see again it has not bloomed)i prune it back -similar to climbing roses leaving 4-6 leaf buds on the laterals.3 yrs ago i root pruned with a spade about 1 1/2' from trunk and down about 1'., 2 yrs ago i tried high phosphurus fertilizer, ...tried everything the last few years---no blooms! same story-beautiful healthy foilage. i'm very discouraged...of course its too early to tell this year yet-but anyone have any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wisteria help

http://www.torontobotanicalgarden.ca/mastergardener/WisteriaBloom.shtml

This site describes root pruning, which sometimes shocks a Wisteria into blooming.

o

Hey,
Have not been on the vine forum in a while.
I have a wisteria around 20 years old. It has never bloomed and I can not kill it!
I tried the shock thing years ago. Did not work.
My DH calls it the plant from Hel*.
I read somewhere it may be a male plant and will not bloom. Not sure?
Anyway Good Luck,
Dorothy
P.S.
Even tried Roundup for vines
And It Lives!

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 30, 09 at 12:17

I was about to post a similiar question...the wisteria's I have (one white one purple) were potted from the beginning. One on my deck has remained small and has never flowered, the other in the same size pot on a lower patio area, apparently busted through the pot and grew into the ground below the bricks it sits on...It also has never bloomed. It is however MUCH larger.

Is there any one with more info other than root pruning? any special fertilizer? anything?

o

Wow! It sounds like you are doing everything! Is it getting enough sunlight? I have heard you might strike the trunk in several areas hard with a garden hose or something to further shock or stress the plant which may help. Who knows! You may give up and pull the thing out and replace it with an American variety like 'Blue Moon' that blooms on new wood, and blooms early. I bought a one gallon plant that had blossoms on it. At three years it was growing over the top of my garden bench arbor with lots of beautiful blossoms.

Kevin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here