Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bougainvillea question

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 9:26

Back in the 80s(Philippines), I remember our neighbor had this vine. If my memory recalls it, it's somewhat a combination of a vine and a shrub that trails. :) It was very long and tons of flowers. No scent though but beautiful!

Is this possible to grow it in zone 5(cut it in winter then bring it in)? I don't recall it being a fast grower because I was so young that time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bougainvillea question

I don't see why you couldn't - it isn't hardy except in zone 9 and up, but you could bring it into a warm area for the winter and re-start it in the spring. Since it is such a slow grower, I doubt it would put on a display for you - better to buy a new one each year and trade it to someone in a warmer climate.

o
RE: Bougainvillea question

There are quite a lot of cultivars and you might want to research one of the smaller less thorny ones which would be more managable if you are shifting it around. The link is to a commercial outfit but there is a lot of info including how to bring them in for the winter.

Here is a link that might be useful: bougainvillea

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here