Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcbarbara

Short-ish skinny trellis needs short-ish well behaved vine

kcbarbara
16 years ago

I have a iron trellis that stands 6 feet tall, 2 feet wide that I've been moving around my yard, trying to find the right combination of place and plant. I'm sure you all can relate! Right now it's in the back of a northwest facing bed and I'm looking for a vine that flowers well but will not go crazy. Last year I had a cardinal climber on it and that thing looked like the Swamp Monster from the Deep. Beautiful abundant foliage and almost no flowers whatsoever.

I thought of clematis, of course, but am not sure this will be the final resting place for the trellis. Thus the thought of an annual. Is there a MG that stays under 6 or 7 feet? The bed is narrow otherwise I would consider a potted mandevilla but I hate to take up the room with a large pot.

Any help will be gratefully received!

Comments (11)

• luvsgrtdanes
    16 years ago

Black-eyed Susan vine doesn't get too wild and the flowers are bright enough to stand out...Why not just put the mandevilla in the ground? I would think you could transplant it easy enough...Some of the MGs (ipomoea nil) don't get real tall either...Painted Lady runner bean is nice and attracts humming birds and doesn't get more than 6-8' tall. Actually a lot of the runner beans are nice.

• kcbarbara
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the ideas, Ronnie. I have been thinking of tucking some veggies in with the flowers and using the Scarlet Runner bean is a perfect 2 birds, 1 stone solution. Mandevillas aren't hardy here and it seems silly to put it in the ground just to take it out three months later.

Barbara

• angie83
    16 years ago

Blackeye susies are nice but dont forget Hyacinth Bean vine they easy to control too.

• angie83
    16 years ago

Here it is a year later it did well ove the winter here.
    Blackeyed susie 3/08

• kcbarbara
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good lookin' vine, angie. The Black Eyed Susie is an annual here and has always done well for me but I was thinking of something with a bigger blossom, more obvious from the curbside. My house is set waaaaaay back from the street on a pie-shaped lot. All the yard is in the front and I have very little in the back. Whoever plotted that out was obviously not a gardener, not did s/he have kids who needed a private place to play. But that's a rant for a different place and time :)

• paddlehikeva
    16 years ago

How about Asarina Scandens? Not such a good picture, but you get the idea.

Kathy

• angie83
    16 years ago

Wow those are beautiful never seen them .

• kcbarbara
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've never seen or heard of that plant before, either. A little googling finds it called Trailing / Climbing / Twining Snapdragon. It's lovely. Now, to try and find some seeds locally and not have to create a new mail order.....

• filix
    16 years ago

Niobe clematis. filix

• taylor_tx
    16 years ago

clitorea ternatea is a nice smaller vine(especially in your zone), and the double blue is most people's favorite.

Centrosema vierginianum is nice, too, and has large flowers, but doesn't bloom but in the fall.

My first thought was thunbergia, just like the others. They come in different colors, if orange isn't your thing.

There are several manettias that are nice and behaved/small, like m. inflata, and m. cordifolia

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    16 years ago

I also plant the Asarina Scandens/snapdragon vines and you can get them in other colors, white, pink, burgundy. A real plus is that they aren't heavy like morning glory vines but light and wispy. Plus they are beautiful! Thanks for the picture Kathy.
    Tina