Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of vine for this wall/trellis

Posted by sudimari z5 IN (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 22, 09 at 11:08

I will be container planting some vines to grow up a "garden junk" trellis. My first thought was Morning Glory, but now I'm wondering if it actually receives the sun needed?

Patio at 9:00 am:
East Patio 5

Patio at 10:30
East Patio 3

The door faces due east. The wall is on the south side of patio, FACING north.

I have a chain link fence gate to start my trellis...will be propped behind the planter pictured. All three pots shown with dead plants will contain vines. Possibly more vines if I use large buckets to weigh or stand the trellis on the concrete. The planter is one piece.

I'm looking to attract birds/butterflies (the number of birdfeeders will grow as the season warms up here!LOL)

I have a mixture of climbing seeds...mixed color morning glory (25%), cardinal climber (5%), Thunbergia Black-Eyed susan (26%), Tall Single Mix Nasturtium (25%), Royal Family Mix Sweet Pea (30%)

They are mixed (I bought the small pkg...the large one was ind pkged inside). So a good place to look at pics of seed to ID them would be helpful.

Will any of these do well at this location? Any specific info I might need for any of them?

Any other suggestions that might work better or really well?

Thanks,
Suz

PS...If you click on thumbnail I believe it will open a larger version of pic...sun exposure might be more visible that way. Still trying to figure out best way to post pics!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of vine for this wall/trellis

The Sweet Pea-Morning Glory combination would probably be a good one, as sweet peas tend to do a fade in warmer weather, whereas morning glories tend to like it a bit more. Both will appreciate humusy, slightly damp soil, and both tend to be fairly tolerant of some shade. The sweet pea seeds will look like little round peas, and morning glory seeds are a round hard little seed, a bit less than 1/8 inch in diameter, usually smooth and dark brown or black. I recommend presoaking for both prior to planting.

Nasturtiums have similar likes as well. I suspect the other two will want more sun; possibly if you place them where they will get reflected light it would help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here