Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kreyn_gw

trumpet vine with reed fencing

kreyn
11 years ago

I recently planted a lavender trumpet vine to cover a chain link fence with an unsightly wooden fence behind it. The vine seems slow growing with leaves turning brown/yellowing. The planter area is 6' tall and 45' across and 2' deep.
Would the vine grow onto a reed or bamboo fencing material if I placed it in front of the chain link? Any suggestions are appreciated!

Comments (5)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I obviously don't live in a climate where this vine grows but I looked it up and it seems to be a very vigorous plant eventually capable of growing to 20 - 30 feet. I am pretty sure that is would soon pull down reed or bamboo fence if it was growing well.

I am not quite able to visualise your planter. You say it is 6 feet tall and 45 feet across and 2 feet deep. What does the 6 feet tall mean exactly? Is is a container, a raised bed or what?

Lastly, anything which is 'recently planted' will take a while to get going. It could simply be transplant shock. If you could post a picture it might be possible to determine what's happening with it.

• kreyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your response - attached is a photo. The chain link fence is 6' tall. The planter is in a raised bed which goes the length of the yard, dividing our lot with neighbors. It is only 2' between edge of block planter and fence.
    My husband suggested attaching lattice to the chain link.
    It's just so unsightly looking at the splitting and termite ridden redwood fencing, we want to make it look pleasing to the eye. . .

• kreyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your response - attached is a photo. The chain link fence is 6' tall. The planter is in a raised bed which goes the length of the yard, dividing our lot with neighbors. It is only 2' between edge of block planter and fence.
    My husband suggested attaching lattice to the chain link.
    It's just so unsightly looking at the splitting and termite ridden redwood fencing, we want to make it look pleasing to the eye. . .

{{!gwi}}

• kayjones
    11 years ago

Go to Home Depot, and into the construction section of the store. Locate the cattle panels - they make marvelous trellises and last forever.

I grow more than one 'lavendar trumpet vine' and, depending on which species you have - can you post the botanical name? - it is a slow grower OR a fast grower.

• kreyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The vine was only labeled lavender trumpet vine. Am looking for a material to cover the unsightly fence until the vine grows. Think we may just use plastic lattice with small holes and place it in front of the chain link. Any thoughts on that?

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area