Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vjrnts

Sweet Peas

vjrnts
13 years ago

Hi everyone. I traveled to England last summer and was just enchanted by the sweet peas I saw in the cottage gardens. They were just beautiful, and since I have a little cottage garden myself, I resolved to try to grow some this summer.

I ordered seeds, 10 of 5 varieties. The planting instructions said to start them when it was still cold, about 6 weeks before the last frost, but I don't think they were thinking of this zone. Our last frost is indeed going to be about 6 weeks away, but it's 13 degrees Fahrenheit out there. There's snow on the ground, which is rock hard.

So, I put them in peat pots in my cellar under grow lights and they're doing very well; lots of tall slender green shoots reaching for the light, but it suddenly occurs to me that I won't be able to set them out for at least another three to four weeks... won't they need support before that?

Do I set up something for them to climb? Maybe something from which I can un-spiral them when it's time to set them out? Like what? I thought about a couple of chop sticks (cheap, easy to find and disposable), but I don't think they'll be long enough, and I don't know if I should just stick them into the peat pots or what.

Help. I'm clueless!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals