Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sama81

Is there a climber for me?

sama81
14 years ago

Okay let me preface this by saying that I realize I'm asking a lot. I know very little about plants, but I know there a LOT of them, and I'm a little overwhelmed trying to find one that suits all of my needs, and thought maybe you guys could point me in the right direction.

I'm in a woodsy area of Rhode Island, lots of shade and not much in the way of soil. (I'm originally from Illinois so I'm used to seeing the rich black dirt..and that's not here. It's very sandy.)

We have a chain link fence in our backyard, 6 ft high. The backyard is mainly used as our dogs' play area. They're pretty good about not eating plants, but they're unsupervised back there sometimes, and I don't want to take stupid risks. I'm a photographer who mainly works with dogs and children, and oftentimes use this area for photoshoots as well, so visual appeal is desired. I'd LOVE some pretty blooms, but will settle for interesting foilage.

Frankly, the plants are going to have to withstand a bit of leg lifting action.

The chain link..is ugly. So I'm looking for something pretty that will cover it up. It does get some sun, but I wouldn't want to plant anything that needs several hours a day of direct sunlight. New England gets pretty harsh winters, heavy snow, below freezing temperatures.

We get a lot of deer and rabbits (like I said, we're in the woods, and amazingly the smell and hair of multiple large dogs doesn't seem to deter them), so whatever it is would need to account for that. Also..I'd like to promise that I'll take great care of it, but realistically, it would probably do best if it were able to pretty much care for itself. I don't really care if it's an annual or not, deciduous or not. Key elements are: Heavy cover, hardy, deer resistant, non toxic to dogs, (if it's bitter tasting and not really TOXIC, just might upset their stomachs a LITTLE, I might be negotiated with on this.) low maintenance, and prettiness.

A climber would be preferable, because in my humble opinion it will go best with the look of the woods and unkempt land that we have here. But if anyone knows of anything else that will fit the bill, by all means I'm open to hearing about it! (I do have some diggers though, so big areas of loose soil and/or mulch will just get overturned.)

I'm concerned about it spreading into the surrounding woods and doing damage. Obviously, if it's visibly spreading into those areas I'll stop it, but things that are spread by birds, like porcelainberry, not a great idea.

Also, I have one dog that's allergic to bees, so something that is known for attracting a lot of them isn't a great fit either.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH