Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purovargas

Grape vine pruning help please.

purovargas
12 years ago

Hello, my name is John Henry Vargas and I am from San Antonio, TX and I have an older vine that my sister gave us 10 years ago with no name and after 10 years it is finally producing grapes all along the vine. It over the past years maybe gave one or two clusters but this year I pruned the vine down to one cane that came from the very beginning of the arm that goes from about the thickness of a marker and at the very end of the vine it is about the thickness of a pencil. And I left the older cordon that has been there for years, the older one has produced canes and they are just leaves no grape clusters but the younger thinner cane has canes growing out with a lot of grape clusters. I need to know if this means that I should cane prune this vine and cut off the older cordon that isn't producing any grape clusters just leafy canes? So when it goes dormant should I keep one cane from the beginning of the head and cut off everything even the young cane that is giving grapes this year or keep the one giving grapes and leave two buds per node? I have no idea on how to grow grapes or the terminology so forgive me if it's all wrong.

Comments (2)