Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizztoasty

Morning Glory newbie! Please advise.

mizztoasty
11 years ago

Hi all! I'm a recent college graduate, and this year will be my first growing plants from seed. I started some morning glory seeds in January, and I wasn't even sure that they would come up, since they were from last year (and the package said, "for use in 2012"). Well, they did, and so far I think they're doing okay!

My apartment faces NNW, so until the last couple of weeks, even the windowsills did not get any direct sunlight, nor did I use artificial lights. I planted two varieties, "Clark's Heavenly Blue", and "Mixed Colors" (not sure what that latter name means exactly, besides being the label on the package). The first variety has small leaves and has gotten quite leggy (or maybe just "viney"?); the second has much larger, fuzzy leaves and has remained compact and full.

My plan is to put them out on my balcony this summer; will they do okay? The balcony does not get much sunlight; I would estimate 1-2 hours in the late afternoon, when the light is pretty weak. There should be a little more light toward summer, and then a little less again after midsummer (since the balcony is only ever-so-slightly west-facing, I've found that week by week the lighting change is noticeable).

If the answer to the last question is "yes, they will grow fine", then I'd also like to start a few more varieties. Any recommendations? I live in a fairly dense suburban area, so I have access to a variety of nurseries and garden stores.

Thanks for reading, and I'd appreciate any advice the seasoned growers here have for me!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor