Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Boston Ivy for concrete retaining wall, propogation question

Posted by tvrolyk z5 NorthIL (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 08 at 14:24

I am considering Boston Ivy for a concrete retaining wall at the back of my property. I have read about its invasiveness and wanted some ideas about my best options.

1) First off is it appropriate and if not what is a good alternative?

The wall is a concrete retaining wall to the park behind our property which is about 4-5' above our yard. The wall has been there 50+ years so it is old and well cured but still in good shape. It is toped with a chain link fence I would also like to cover with vine but that is not critical. The chain link has no soil immediately below it (on my side) so I can't plant a sucker vine for the contrete and a twining vine for the fence.

At each end of the wall it intersects my wooden fence which is 3 years old. At one intersection it is quite shady and the other is in full sun.

I have read that Ivys are bad for wooden fences because they block out the sun, retain moisture and promote rot. At the shady end I was wondering if that would less of an issue because of lack of sun. At the other end it would have to be maintained several times a year to prevent spreading onto the fence.

2) Assuming I decide on Boston Ivy I have a friend who has a lot I could pull from. What would be the best time and method for propogating the ivy given the time of year?

I think that about covers it. I would appreciate your insights.

Tony

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Boston Ivy for concrete retaining wall, propogation question

Boston Ivy generally grows by crawling along the ground or up a wall. Don't let it get near your wooden fence in the shade. Propagating can be done in the spring through to the fall. If you go to your friend house and get down and look how ivy grows you'll see that it sends roots out at the leaf node. Prune a branch about six inches long from the root. Combine 3/4 plants together in a soil mixture of manure and sand, add some bone meal and tamp the soil down around the plants. Water. Now if you find enough branches with good roots no need to propagate. Dig the roots up with a shovel, prune back the roots and plant them in your yard. And water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o
RE: Boston Ivy for concrete retaining wall, propogation question

I would like to propagate more Boston Ivy from my current ones I own. How would you recommend going about this?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here