Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New gardener in need to backyard privacy

Posted by amber3398 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 3, 09 at 15:08

Hello. I am a new homeowner in need of some backyard privacy. I am searching for a fast growing vine or shrub that will keep it's foliage year-round to provide constant privacy. The backyard is exposed to full sun. We are located in Watsonville, on the central coast in California. I am a brand-new gardener and I'm anxious to get started :)

Here is a panoramic photo of our backyard. Please excuse the weeds, we have yet to do anything to the backyard since buying our home.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/Amber3398/backyard3.jpg

I appreciate all the advice I can get!
-Amber

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New gardener in need to backyard privacy

I think Gelsemium sempervirens would be hardy with you and does make a totally thick and evergreen cover. There are single flowered, pale flowered and double flowered forms, that bloom, briefly in Spring. Another nice vine is the crossvine, and that may be evergreen for you, also.
I think they could both bring down a flimsy fence or trellis.

o
RE: New gardener in need to backyard privacy

I can really see some background bamboo or horsetail(6-10') growing all along what looks like a reed fence, and then some shorter ornamental grasses at 4-5' to fill out the front.
It would match the style of the fence and grow quite a bit taller than your fence to screen out the neighbor windows which are so close.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here