Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Books or Articles on Vines

Posted by danell 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 15:40

I'm looking for some printed sources that will help me understand what type of vines there are, how they grow, what they need to grow, how to care for them, what they should look like . . . etc.

I've chanced upon an article here or there but all were fairly brief. Before I put a vine on my chain link fence or build a lattice structure I want to be sure of what I'm doing. I understand some vines can be pretty hard to get off and as I drive around the neighborhood I see these ratty looking things folks have on their fences and wonder if it is the vine or lack of care that makes it look that way.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Books or Articles on Vines

Here's some brief food for thought. Annual vines are extremely unlikely to cause any difficulties, excepting too many sprouts the following year in some cases. Perennial vines are those that cause problems. Those that are herbaceous (everything above the ground dies in the winter) are unlikely to be destructive but they can creep around and send up shoots far from the original location. Woody perennial vines must be grown with more thought and planning since they are easily capable of damaging structures or other plants. If one were to get too heavy, it could pull a wood fence or pergola down. Lattice is not very strong stuff. Vines aren't generally tidy, so that's another consideration you would have. Finding one that appeals to your sense of neatness.

Regarding "hard to get off", there's degrees of that. Morning glories on a CL fence will take an hour or 2 of your time to rip all of the dead bits of stem off. A woody perennial vine can attach itself permanently.

o

Thank you purpleinopp, this was actually quite helpful.

o

You're welcome.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here