Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pot sizes

Posted by ladylotus Z3/4 ND (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 15:43

I am purchasing the following vines:

Clytostoma callistegioides (violet trumpet vine)
Campis grandiflora (chinese trumpet vine)
Jasminun toruosum
Wisteria macrostachya

I am doing to get them growing across the rafters of my greenhouse. I do realize that I will need to constantly trim them up so that I don't have monster vines that take down my greenhouse.

My question is, what size pots should I place them in and is there a good soil mix for them? I really want to have some large, luscious vines growing up and across my greenhouse. I picked these as I think the trumpet vine and wisteria will get large and really spread out well and I am hoping they provide some beautiful fragrance in my gh. I also picked them for hummingbirds and I always hatch praying mantis in my greenhouse and they love large vines to hang out in.

Any help to get these vines off to a really good start would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pot sizes

All of these vines will only get as large as the root development in a container will allow. Container growing is really a dwarfing process, as a normal root system will spread out much further than a typical sized container would allow. While several of these vines are big and vigorous, growing to 30 feet or more, they will not get that big in a container (unless a very large one).

I would figure for a container of about 15-20 gallons or about 16-18 inches across and 15-18" deep. Fill with a high quality and durable potting mix, like the 5-1-1 mix or Al's gritty mix. Plan on repotting about every 3-5 years. And you will need some decent supports - both the wisteria and trumpet vine need a strong support system.

o

Gardengal, thank you for responding. I bought both the trumpet vines and wisteria to get some large growth. I would like them to grow along my rafters of my greenhouse from one side to the other about 32 feet. I know that I will probably need to prune them to keep them in check and not have them pull down my greenhouse but I'm willing to do that.

I was hoping to plant them in the largest pots in hopes of getting maximum growth from them.

I wish they would bloom this spring as I need something for hummingbirds that visit my greenhouse every spring. But I will have to grow on a lot of petunias again in hopes of providing them flowers other than my feeder I usually put up.

I am so excited as I got these plants today in the mail and they look fantastic. Will get them planted up tomorrow and eventually keep adding larger and larger pots to support some serious growth.

o

I have one more question, would you plant Clytostoma callistegioides (violet trumpet vine) and Campis grandiflora (chinese trumpet vine) together and let the colors compliment each other? OR...would this be too much vine for 1 extra large pot?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here