Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aggressive climbing vine

Posted by sistersibling Texas (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 9, 09 at 15:57

Hello!

I am wanting to plant a Cross vine in a large planter to climb up an 8 foot tall arbor as the entrance of a greenhouse. My question is:

Will it grow up and over the trellis by the winter, and will it bloom profusely?

I live in Dallas TX, So the summers get pretty hot. It will also be in full sun all day.

I'm basically hoping for something evergreen with a LOT of blooms and that will cover the arbor as quickly as possible....and, Im clueless!

Please help!

-A

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aggressive climbing vine

I hope my crossvine will bloom, someday, but I do not expect anything more than a massive Spring bloom and, perhaps some weak follow up. I have the native honeysuckle, Lonicera sempervirens( I think!), in several varieties and, while not evergreen here, flushes of blooms occur from Spring to frost, in repeating waves. I am interested in the new sort,'Major Wheeler', but the 3 types I have are dependable. Two evergreen vines I am growing, neither meeting your desires too closely, are Clematis armandi and Gelsemium sempervirens. Do not choose too quickly, as there are many aggressive vines, some blooming periodically, most of their growing season. Akebia, Bignonia and Wisteria can be too vigorous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here