Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerris2

Springtime Morning Glory Fun

I an starting a new thread since the previous one probably was too slow loading. The previous thread may be found at the link below.

My indoors morning glory garden is still going strong. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing morning glories indoors over winter 2012-13

This post was edited by gerris2 on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 12:42

Comments (54)

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We will have to wait for the flowers to verify the names you put on the packets.

You should see all the flower buds on this Ipomoea purpurea. I can't wait to get this one outdoors to see what it will do in real sunlight.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Have a great morning glory-ous day!

• ron_convolvulaceae
    11 years ago

Nice variation on the I.purpurea flaked patterns...

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Ron, here is another one.

• Pines Everywhere
    11 years ago

Gerris -- OMG -- such a lovely collection. How beautiful and happy these are.

Simply amazing - thanks for sharing - very inspiring. :)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, PinesEverywhere. It's a fun group of plants to grow. Be sure to share your plants' growth progress and flowers in photos, we all want to see.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's a yellow leaf Japanese morning glory that should make a deeeeeep blue flower if it is like its parent.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I got this one from Arum, Chocolate Explosion. We'll see flower buds exploding soon!

• dena_eft
    10 years ago

Man O Day, I can't wait!! :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is todays flower, always looking perky and cute.

• dena_eft
    10 years ago

Very vibrant! What MG's will you be growing outside this spring?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Actually the list is too numerous to count hahaha. The one I will grow that has a name is Blue Silk. All the others have no name or have a meaningless code number for the strain.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    10 years ago

I happen to like the alpha-numeric code system and think that it has a beauty beyond any 'fuzzy-wuzzy' style names...

• dena_eft
    10 years ago

Joseph, I already have sprouts from the MG you sent. It seems the neighbors always come up before mine. That's because the seeds are always left in the ground I think. My moon vine starts so late,(not till the ground is really warm), I'm always afraid I won't have time for it to set seed.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I have a pink Ipomoea nil Japanese-developed morning glory that decided to make another flower after a month of not flowering. I have been growing the plant indoors over the winter and I thought it had finished its cycle of life. I gave the plant some worm poop tea, and it sprang back to life.

The flower is showing some darker streaks of pink which is attractive.

• dena_eft
    10 years ago

Yum Yum, worm poop tea! Must work well, what a pretty bloom. :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Chocolate Explosion is about to open, I predict Tuesday at the earliest.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Mr. C. Explosion is taking his own sweet time opening up. Patience is indicated.

• dena_eft
    10 years ago

Well, I've been checking this post at least several times a day. Hopefully it doesn't do what my prized Hibiscus did. The bloom came, I waited and waited, then all at once, the whole bud just dropped off!

Original Author
    10 years ago

I hate when that happens. The Chocolate Explosion flower bud is about 1/4 emerged. It may open tomorrow or by the weekend. It's a bit chilly in the basement so that is what is keeping it in slow motion.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another pink mg flower for your viewing pleasure. It opened today and I missed it this morning. It was waiting for me when I came home from work. I do like its intense pink color.

• dena_eft
    10 years ago

Very pretty, it's interesting the way it almost has a white edge. :) I would never had thought that you have such a variety of Mg's.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Chocolate Explosion opened up!

• dena_eft
    10 years ago

Great!!! :) Some of the other seeds to this might have a tendency to show more explosions qualities.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Look at this nice purple morning glory that opened this morning.

• dena_eft
    10 years ago

Yes, that is a beaut. Did you happen to grow the Heine no umi I sent? I recall that it was a big purplish one.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll be able to start planting outdoors starting this week, yes!!

• dena_eft
    10 years ago

Well, I planted my Heavenly Blues, a whole pack of seeds, but yet only a few came up. I wonder why,- they were fresh seed, a new pack anyway. Still I expect to have some nice vines.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I set the first batch of MGs out today to harden off a little before I pot them on tomorrow afternoon.

• cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal)
    10 years ago

hi Gerris in your last pic what are the seedlings in the bottom?

Original Author
    10 years ago

They are morning glories that are not as developed as the ones which were the subject of the photo. The ones you asked about should yield interesting mutant flower forms.

• cinnie0 (z 9b / So Cal)
    10 years ago

ok. thanks.

• dena_eft
    10 years ago

Wow Joseph, those look so healthy. It will be interesting to see the finished product. Keep us posted! :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

I will try to get all these babies planted this weekend. This plant is doing ok in its outdoors location. It's loaded with flower buds.

Original Author
    10 years ago

When I look at the leaves of my mutant morning glory plants, I find my mind and soul are at peace with the world, momentarily. It is a wonderful effect.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Doesn't this mutant morning glory leaf look a little like a mini-lily pad?

• dena_eft
    10 years ago

Hey Joseph, did you say you were looking at the vine, or eating the seeds when you feel that way? :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

No, I don't eat the seeds.

I guess I should not reveal my feelings about MGs, I'll get sent to a padded cell.

Here is one that opened up over the past couple of weeks which made growing it so worthwhile.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    10 years ago

"I guess I should not reveal my feelings about MGs, I'll get sent to a padded cell. "

You just crock me up (!)...ROR = Rots of Raughter (!)...

Original Author
    10 years ago

I installed a yellow leaf morning glory (Ipomoea nil) out in my front garden today. It will be growing on a circular trellis for passersby to admire. When in Japan in 2009, I saw many homeowners in Fukuoka and Fukui display their morning glory containers in neat orderly rows in front of their homes. Unfortunately, the letter carrier would not be able to get to our mailbox if I did the same as the Japanese.

• dena_eft
    10 years ago

What a delicate MG. :) It reminds me of a ballerina. My MG;s are also growing by the fence. I purposefully walk by the neighbors everyday to view theirs. Although theirs are more common, they are pretty.

Original Author
    10 years ago

That's so cool you have morning glory growing neighbors, Dena. My neighbors mainly grow mulch in their gardens. Or they have a serious love affair for marigolds.

Here is the cotyledon pair of a morning glory (Ipomoea nil) that should make a large flower and soft blue color, with white margin. It really ought to have lovely variegated leaves too (I can't remember). I grew it indoors over the winter in 2009. I'm excited to grow it again, finally getting around to it.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I found a photo of the parent's flower.

• dena_eft
    10 years ago

My goodness, imagine having an entire vine of those! A real eye stopper! Name? :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Dena, that one was from a mix and had no name.

I had a new one make some flowers today, Ipomoea nil 'Mountain Stream'. Isn't it fabulous? I couldn't stop taking photos of it this morning.

• dena_eft
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness, I'm in love! Wow, you do have some great Mg's. What a collection! This is not only beautiful, but quite unusual. Drool drool. :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Isn't that one awesome? It's still open today, but the blue changed to pink, it's still pretty.

Look at this one, a no-name strain of Ipomoea purpurea. I am grooving out over its split petal flower form.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a double flower form of a perennial vine, Calystegia pubescens 'Tenshi Botan'. The pink flowers look like little angels floating on the background of dark green foliage.

Original Author
    10 years ago

It's summer now, so I'll be starting another thread. It's been fun.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH