Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering vine

Posted by boncrow66 none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 18:18

Had anyone had luck with any climbing vines that flower for a arbor? I'm in SE tx. I am wanting to combine it with roses
I have a 10 ft wide arbor and want the majority to be covered in a flowering vine and the outside with cl roses. I want a fast growing vine that blooms from spring thru fall. Any suggestions will be welcome!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering vine

Why not an annual vine like morning-glory, hyacinth vine, clitoria ternata or any number of others?

o

I thought I wanted morning glories but they die out in the winter and I don't want the hassle of cleaning it out every year so now I am leaning towards something that stays green all year and blooms occasionally or all the time. Any suggestions?

o

How about a violet trumpet vine. Mine climbs my walls and there is no arbor, so I would think it would climb even better with an arbor. Here is a picture of one of the flowers on mine.
Evan

o

Evan, I just purchased this plant and will be growing it in my greenhouse. Can you please tell me more about this plant? Does it get really large in a pot? Any other information you could provide would be so wonderful.

o

Hello ladylotus, I have had these beauties in the ground for about 3 seasons. Although not in containers like you are going to have them, they grow fast! I cut mine down to about 2'-3' tall every winter and by mid march they are 6'+. They like afternoon shade here in the desert, but will probably be ok in full sun in your zone 3/4. They bloom from February through October in zone 9 and I usually have to trim them back a little in mid summer to keep them at bay and from over taking my patio. It is the easiest plant I have ever grown, don't baby it too much, the more attention you try and pay to it the less flowers you will have. I have never fertilized them and have heard that others who have get less blooms on the years they fertilize. All in all this is a great flowering vine to have in your collection. Take care and keep us informed on how it's going!
Evan

o

Evan, thank you so much for responding to my question. It is unbelievable I receive the plant in a semi dormant state and I swear I can see it grow. I am really excited to get it growing and hope I see it bloom in a year or two.

o

Ladylotus no problem and I'll bet you see blooms on that vine before the end of this growing season, it is a prolific bloomer all summer! Keep us posted on its progress.
Evan

o

Cobaea vine is pretty prolific. It grows fast and has unusual blooms. Or a black coral pea which is tough, even in clay soil. The photo is a web shot of a cobaea. It also comes in a white bloom. Purple flowering version starts off green and ages to deep violet.

This post was edited by elysianfields on Sat, Apr 12, 14 at 23:47

o

That is a very interesting vine. I grew the cobaea vine as an annual in my gardens. Loved it! I had forgotten about that vine and should plants some seeds of it again. Great idea!

o

Hey ladylotus, how is your violet trumpet vine coming along? Does it have any flowers yet?
Evan

o

Evan,

My vine is still putting on growth. It is not very big though as we are having unusually cool weather. Things are just beginning to warm up. I will keep you posted on how it is doing and even post a photo when it really gets going. Thank you for inquiring.

o

Ok ladylotus, let me know if you need any of my weather, it's supposed to be 104 today here, I'll send it your way. I'd welcome some cool weather at this point. Keep us posted on your trumpet vines progress.
Evan

o

Evan,

I hate hot weather and would take a slow growing plant any day over 104 deg F. I live in ND for a reason. LOL.

I bought Tangerine Beauty cross vine also when I bought my violet trumpet vine. It is doing very nicely and slowly climbing the trellis I made it. Nothing is really growing too quickly I have this awful feeling that we are going to go from cool weather to extreme heat. I think I shall perish if that happens. ha ha.

o

Glad your vines are growing well, maybe I stay for the winters. Average highs around 72 F during the day and lows of 40 F at night. Then we have 3 months of above 100 daily, you get used to it. I don't know if I could handle your winters in ND. We ended up making it to 107 F today.
Evan

This post was edited by evdesert on Sat, May 31, 14 at 23:00

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here