Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prune Amethyst Falls wisteria?

Posted by lennon2 RI (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 7, 09 at 19:33

I have an Amethyst Falls wisteria frutescens that's sharing an arbor with a climbing rose. It hardly bloomed last year (but did put out two seed pods that are still hanging there), but I hadn't pruned it. Should I cut it all back like a clematis?

I'm not a brave pruner, but I want flowers and if that's what it takes... Advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prune Amethyst Falls wisteria?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 9, 09 at 12:10

Prune Amethyst Falls Wisteria in late winter only if necessary to shape the plant and remove undesirable growth. Trim lightly after the first flush of bloom to encourage branching and repeat blooms.

o

I only prune branches that are in the way. It breaks dormancy and blooms later then other varieties. I get a huge first flush and small flushes of blooms until frost.

o

Prune away. While it's not as agressive as the Chinese, it's still very aggressive. Here are pics of year 5 on mine. This is 3, count 'em 3 plants. It's also very adorable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisteria, Amethyst Falls

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here