Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vine suggestion for wire trellis over deck?

Posted by aandaindc 7 DC (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 08 at 20:19

We are looking for a vine with the following features:

-can grow in a container
-will grow on a horizontal wire trellis
-there is full sun for a few hours in the afternoon
-provide shade for our deck in the summer
-not too messy
-loses its leaves in the winter to allow sun to hit house
-doesn't attract bees
-grows quickly
-perennial
-Washington, DC zone 7 location

All of those features would be great, we realize we may not be able to find all those features in one plant.

We'd also be interested in a more long-term option where the vine is planted in the ground and is trained up the 10' deck posts, but we believe that growing that distance would take much longer. We were thinking that possibly we could do a short-term vine from containers on the deck while we got something started in the garden below.

Any assistance is helpful here, we're totally new at this!

Thanks.
Aaron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vine suggestion for wire trellis over deck?

Virginia creeper or Boston Ivy?

o

A Passiflora incarnata - wonderful vine - will need a wash tub-sized container, though.

o

Passiflora incarnata would be excellent, especially if planted in the ground. I also have some in containers....not as big as wash-tubs though!

o

I absolutely love my passiflora incarnata, it is actually hardy way up north here! Ony issue, bumble bees which don't bother people but scare the heck out of most of them, and...wasps, they absolutely love passi vines up here. I can't plant passion flower vines near walkways, or in pots near where there is people traffic as some of the brown wasps up here are very defensive of the plants. There is a gland on the leaves that exudes a nectar/sap that the wasps love.

o

You may want to consider five-leaved akebia, Akebia quinata, a very delicate vine from Japan and Korea. You can see it growing at Dumbarton Oaks. It has very curiously shaped, fragrant flowers in March or early April so bees are not a big problem. You may have to assist it in the early growing/training stages to get it started up the trellis but once established it will fulfill all your requirements.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here