Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vineworld

Morning Glory ID

VineWorld
11 years ago

I thought I planted Coral Vine, but it obviously isn't. I vaguely remember possibly planting an MG seed here, but, that doesn't really matter. It's obviously an MG, but i'm not good with dwarf varities so I was wondering if anyone could pin point it and also whether it set seeds easily/needs a cross pollinator... As they seem to never set seed as they fall off.

Comments (10)

• VineWorld
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the bud.

• VineWorld
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Leaf.

• VineWorld
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The stem and body.

• VineWorld
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Unfurling Flower.

• VineWorld
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Flower tube and side view.

• VineWorld
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Central stem.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

That is a beautiful Ipomoea nil. What a lovely pink flower, and awesome photo set documenting all the characters you need to identify it. It's a knockout beauty!

• VineWorld
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Gerris, it sure is a really beautiful flower.

• ron_convolvulaceae
    11 years ago

Vineworld - You mentioned :

"It's obviously an MG, but i'm not good with dwarf varities so I was wondering if anyone could pin point it and also whether it set seeds easily/needs a cross pollinator... As they seem to never set seed as they fall off."

Thanks for your questions and photos as they are very helpful.

Joseph is right in that the species is Ipomoea nil.

I will attempt to go a bit further and add that what you have there is typically known as "Carol" or "Kawaii" which is available in a variety of colors.

The "Carol" tends to have a thinner white edge to the flowers or no lighter edge at all and are less common than the Kawaii because most people prefer the wider lighter edge and variegated leaves whereas the "Carol" series tends to have less of a lighter edge and un-variegated leaves.

The plant that you have may be a 'pure' "Carol" or Kawaii or it may have already been crossed , although I tend to think that it is an uncrossed "Carol".

The "Carol" / Kawaii (like many other highly-bred Ipomoea) can become self-infertile or sometimes plants grown indoors exhibit reduced fertility and they might just need some help via hand pollination.

I would suggest that if there is something about this particular plant that you very much like and that you would like to see preserved in the genome of the seeds , that you try and grow another pink one as similar to it as possible from other "Carol" / Kawaii seeds...if there are no pink "Carol" / Kawaii seeds available to you , then you would need to use a different dwarf type like the SunSmiles...

You could also try crossing it with a different type of I.nil altogether , but of course the results will be a somewhat unpredictable mixture of the parents.

I hope I might have helped to clarify your inquiry.

regards,

Ron

This post was edited by ron_convolvulaceae on Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 10:16

• VineWorld
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ron. I do have some more seeds labeled Kawaii now that I've dug around some. Perhaps I will try to grow out another. I did try hand pollinating but the results haven't seemed to produce results yet, but I'll keep trying till I can get another going.

Thanks again both of you.