Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID morning glory?

Posted by Desirai 7B (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 20:46

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures but maybe someone might know.

I guess it was a morning glory. It was light lavender, except everything about it was half the size of a regular morning glory. The flowers, the leaves, the size/height, the seeds.

The flowers were bigger than a cardinal vine flower.

I'm guessing a bird dropped it.

Does anyone know what kind it might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID morning glory?

• Posted by gerris2 Zone 7a Delaware (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 22:25

Did it look like this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea hederacea

o

well the leaves match but the color doesn't. could it come in different colors? it was definitely a light lavender. I've been looking through my gardening pictures but I just don't have any of it :(

o

Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 16:26

The color blue frequently changes during the day as the flower ages.

o

well i harvested seeds so i will post pictures when it blooms :)

o
RE: ID morning glory...A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

Desirai - Verbal descriptions are generally difficult to be guided by and as you know , this is the Computer Information Age of which high resolution digital images are a part of that Computerized Information Age...

A Picture is worth a Thousand Words...

I would think that what you are mentioning is Ipomoea triloba (which can have cordate or tri-lobed leaves) but if you could post a clear macro of the seeds that you harvested , that would help ascertain the ID.

regards,

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea triloba

o

the little seeds are next to a regular MG seeds

o

Just throwing them out there but maybe what your thinking of is either Ipomoea triloba or Ipomoea cordatotriloba.

o
RE: ID morning glory?...ID w/ high certainty provided

Deserai - Thanks for the photo of the seeds.

I will revise my initial 'guesstimate' to a more definitive ID and that is
Ipomoea lacunosa.

I.lacunosa is commonly called either WhiteStar or pitted Morning Glory and although most commonly white is does have pinkish colored forms that range from a dark pink to a lighter lavender pink and the leaf form can vary from cordate to multi-lobed.

Ipomoea lacunosa is very closely related to Ipomoea triloba and these 2 species of Ipomoea can sometimes actually cross the usual species barrier (which is extremely rare in Ipomoea) to form a natural true inter-specific hybrid known as Ipomoea x leucantha.

There are relatively subtle differences between the species mentioned and the hybrid which often results in various 'professional' sites exhibiting the wrong species and without knowing in advance how to differentiate between the species , most people would not know if whatever they located on the web was accurately described and identified or not...

VineWorld - I can understand why you might have thought of the 2 species that you mentioned , as I had initially postulated Ipomoea triloba myself , but the seed photo confirms my ID.
The seeds are not Ipomoea cordatotriloba or Ipomoea triloba as I've seen enough of all of the different species to know certain details that are rarely (if ever) addressed.

I've included some links :

http://chestofbooks.com/flora-plants/flowers/Illustrated-Flora-3/4-Ipomoea-L-Sp-Pl-159-1753.html

Thanks for your questions and seed photo.

regards,

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea lacunosa description

o

thank you ron!! i think thats it! thats amazing you can tell just by looking at the seeds

o

Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 10:46

It's a nice one to grow in a container.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here