Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis pruning...?

Posted by juanital 5b/6a OH (juanitalwr@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 22:53

Time to prune/cut back now? If so, what's suggested amount?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis pruning...?

Wait until all danger of frost is past. I never pruned mine unless there were dead vines, which you can't determine until they leaf out, so I'd say wait until May in your zone. As far as how much, wait and see what leafs out, then cut just what you have to.

o

Wrong!! The previous response is incorrect in some respects and vague to the extreme in others. Now is the perfect time to prune -- frost has nothing to do with it. Typically for the majority of clematis you prune them the same time you prune roses or when the forsythia is blooming. Some clematis gardeners prune much earlier in the season (December/January) without concerns because that's when they have the time.

How much you prune depends on the type of clematis you have, usually determined by when it blooms and whether on old or new growth or a combination.

There is an entire GW forum on growing clematis and I'd encourage you check it out. You will get some very helpful information from some very knowledgeable posters and pruning is discussed endlessly, especially at this time of year :-)

I'd suggest you look at the recent posted titled "ID question" - this will discuss pruning in detail as well as helping to determine what type of clematis you have and that will dictate how much you should prune.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis Forum

o

Thank you both for the response! I will check out the forum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here