Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wisteria vine into tree

Posted by cliviajohn z7NY (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 08 at 23:15

Hello,

How do you prune a wisteria vine into an upright tree form? I'm growing from seed and need advice on pruning, when, how etc.

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wisteria vine into tree

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 16, 08 at 11:56

OK, but I hope you understand these in standard form are not ever low maintenance plants. It's going to need your attention several times during each year to maintain the tree like shape - they would rather be vines and try hard to resist :)

Your young vine must be staked in an upright position. When it has reached your desired height (like 5-6') its time to cut the top off. Let side shoots develop on the upper part, but continually remove shoots from the lower stem (a few times a year, forever). Side shoots are pruned each winter to six inches to a foot in length until the top is as large as you'd like.

Be very, very patient both with the form and the flowering - wisteria grown from seed normally doesn't bloom for about 12 years. It's going to send up shoots from roots underground too, those will need to be removed. I was beginning to consider taking out my own (purchased as a standard already, not seed grown or initially trained by me), but a falling tree in a storm made that decision for me this past December.

o

I LOVE Wisteria. Good luck with it.

o

• Posted by gght z7a AL (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 11, 11 at 10:08

Wisteria can be a maintenance nightmare, especially if you are training one to form a tree structure. I had two cuttings a few years ago which I trained over 3-4 years to form trees. They had their first blooms in year three, I think. Anyhow in year four I chopped them to the ground and sprayed any suckers with roundup. The maintenance was more than I was willing to deal with. The pruning was no problem and enjoyable but the continuous run of shoots/suckers which eventually extended several feet from the tree was a nightmare to control. I had mine planted on a property line and although the neighbor wouldn't have cared if wisteria shoots were on their property, I didn't want them to have to control vines when they reached some of their trees. I have nearby trees which would also have been endangered. Bottom line, wisteria vines are very beautiful and graceful, high maintenance. Make sure you are willing and have the time to provide care during the growing seasons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here