Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
evergreen vine for fence?

Posted by becks_greenthumb 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 0:03

Any advice on a vine to cover a standard height chain link fence. On one 15 ft. section along the driveway I already have Cape Honeysuckle. I'm considering continuing it along the long section which is about 53 ft. but I'm not sure. It looks good, is easy to control, is mostly evergreen here in the Bay Area and it drives the hummingbirds wild. On the new section there is a hedge of lilacs, which are not full grown yet, and several roses. These are planted within a couple feet of the fence. I have a wisteria thriving on the opposite side of the yard, but I'm growing it up and out a tall, t-shaped pipe to form a tree. I'd love another wisteria, but don't think I could control it along the chain link. I'd like to stick with an evergreen. I'd love any suggestions you have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: evergreen vine for fence?

I like the look of my young Clematis armandi. Have no idea if it would get too large for your purposes or what it's future appearance will be here. Gelsemium sempervirens and rankinii are beautiful, but tend to gather in a big mass at the top of the support. I suppose they could be sheared,after Spring bloom, from time to time.

o

• Posted by ellix augusta ga (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 25, 09 at 19:12

Crossvine is fast growing and the hummers love it too, and jasmine is fast growing and both are evergreen.

o

Confederate jasmine does nicely, also.

o

I also have a neighbor problem very similar to the ladies above. Looking for a vine which grows quickly and I can't possibly kill as I'm new to gardening. I seem to be attracted to the pinks, purples and greens. :) So, I was thinking I'd try the Evergreen Wisteria Vine. What are your thoughts? Do you believe it's a good decision for covering my fence to block out the blemishes next door? From what limited pics I've seen it looks as if it should give me the coverage I'm looking for. Vines or ivy in general, how do I keep it on my fence and not growing elsewhere?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here