Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
morning glory - cut back or not ?

Posted by bobbymacbean 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 07 at 0:42

hi - my morning glory always looks like this (click link below) after winter but there is normally life running through it and it becomes completely full again in spring. however, we had a colder winter than usual and the only signs of life are in the runners next to the ground. someone suggested that i could just leave the dead vine for the new growth to climb on. would this be best or should i just cut all the dead back and start all over ? any green in the photo is from other plant life. - thanks, brian

photo - cut back or not ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: morning glory - cut back or not ?

Hie Brian - could you post a closeup of the flowers and/or the leaves of the plant in question...I did look at the photo that you linked to,but I can't descern anything that I can positively identify as any type of morning glory...

What species is the plant suppossed to be...(?)...

Thanks(!)...

Ron

o

sorry - guess i should have been more descriptive. all of the brown in the picture is the actual vine - normally some or all of it survives the winter and it exhibits new growth in spring and becomes completely full again. this year it appears that only the vine on the ground survived and is now sending out runners but the vine in the picture which is off of the ground appears to be completely dead. again, the question is, do i cut back the dead and completely start over or will leaving the dead vine for the new growth to climb up on help get up and full again ? the objective is to get it to climb up the trellis ( for lack of better description ) and climb over the rose to create a screen on the side and a canopy over the top for my entryway. i have been growing this for six years now and last year the m-g was halfway across the rose. i hate having to start all over again and want the m-g to come back and fill in as quickly as possible. sorry if this comes across as rambling.

this is a pic of leaves from the new growth - i don't know the species - flower is blue/purple - leaves

this is a pic of the entryway from the front to give you a better idea about the canopy concept - entry canopy

thanks, brian - aka/rambling rose (;>

o

Hey Brian - Sounds like you most probably have Ipomoea indica...although your being listed as a zone 8 was a bit equivocal...

It's really up to you if you want to cut the old browned vines off or not...if you don't mind the way the older stems look >they probably would provide for a natural trellising and make it easy for the new growth to climb...or you could remove them and replace it with some netting for a trellis...

Does your plant produce any seeds(?)...most Ipomoea indica are too clonal to be sufficiently self-fertile to produce seeds,but sometimes a few seeds are produced from self-fertilization or by cross pollination from an I.indica plant from different clonal stock...

I'd be interested to trade you for a couple seeds if your plant produces any...

Send me anm e-mail for further details...
http://members.gardenweb.com/members/write.cgi?username=ron_convolvulaceae

Hope the plant continues to do well for you...

Talk to you...

Ron

Here is a link that might be useful: Ipomoea indica in the PlantFiles...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here