Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
green_claws

What is this vine?

green_claws
15 years ago

I bough this vine at Walmart about a year ago. It didn't come with any information on the species, just a sticker that said "assorted foliage." It spent the spring on the front porch of my old house where it flourished. The tendrels climbed all over the plastic hangers and the plant looked magnificent. Every vine was upright and reaching outward!

I moved into an apartment 9 months ago and had to move it inside. Soon after that, almost all of the leaves got extremely soft to the touch, like they were rotting away. Entire vines would turn yellow and rot, rather than drying up like i would expect of a dying plant. I assumed it was from too much water sitting in the pot because the plant was sitting on a bookshelf where evaporation from sunlight hitting the soil wasn't possible.

I repotted my vine a few months ago and moved it's location to a spot where it can get a little more sunlight, but it is still inside. The dead leaves in the picture are (i think) just a result of some of the branches not taking root and dying off. The branches that survived are hanging on for dear life. They haven't gotten any worse but they haven't improved at all.

Can anyone help me identify this plant? And what can I do to help it thrive again? It looks quite normal "hanging" the way it does in the picture, but i'm sure it's not healthy, knowing that the tendrils used to reach out and up like they did.

Most of the healthy vines are green until the leaf growth ends. Then the tendrils just become brown and dried up. Can I get them to come back to life again, or do I need to cut the vine where it starts dying?

Some more info on this vine: The tendrils, when they wrapped around the hangers, formed perfect parallel spirals that climbed upward. The leaves are very brittle, they were that way when the plant was very healthy too. They only bent slightly before the leaf would snap in half.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida