Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dannypa

Akebia quinata

dannypa
14 years ago

For many years now I have read that Akebia quinata is invasive in the United States. My understanding is that a plant must spread readily into wilderness, displace native flora and be difficult to control in order to be classed as invasive.

I've only seen this vine get out of hand once in my life. I went back to the place, a neighborhood lot, and saw that it had been successfully cleaned up.

I've never seen seedlings near one. I've never seen it running amok like asian wisteria left to escape and run all over the place tearing down trees.

Yet, it still has the reputation for being invasive. Can anyone tell me, please, are there documented problems with this vine? Places where it has naturalized or is wreaking havoc? If it is true, I really need to know and would appreciate links to data or the name of a state park having trouble with it, for example.

(I have moral reasons for wanting to know)

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• eliza0214
    14 years ago

Funny you should ask this; I was just looking this up the other day!

I don't think it'd be invasive where you are. Where I am, on Long Island, I don't think it's been classified as invasive, either. However, it's mature and established in one little area in my garden. As I've started clearing out and taking back control of my gardens, I realized that it's way more "established" than I thought! I found it reaching around, behind, and under other plants and permanent garden and building fixtures up to 20ft away, just to send up a little shoot. Also the vines are SO strong; I almost can't break them by hand. I'm actually thinking of using all the vines I pull up to make some rope mats a la Martha Stewart.

Anyway, here's what I found about it being invasive:
    http://www.invasive.org/species/subject.cfm?sub=10090

Specifically, here's a photo I found that shocked me:
    Infestation

Would you mind sharing what your moral argument is about? I'm curious!

• dannypa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm in the biz. Won't say more. Don't want to step on the rules.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

I live in Texas but owned jointly with my sisters a piece of land 40 miles south west of Philadelphia. My mother had the land for years but lived elsewhere. The 10 acres got hit by Akebia Quinata bad. It was through the crowns of the trees and the birds loved the berries and it was sprouting up everywhere. It ran in runners, seeded and generally made itself into an expensive naturalized nuisance. No one planted it. It was dropped by a bird I guess. After the cleanup, the native population of Lady slippers that had been there did not come back. That plant is not a friend of mine. I have heard that Pennsylvania does have a problem with it in the area around the cities in the Exburbs.

• chris-s-g
    11 years ago

This is massively invasive where I live. It was brought to my neighborhood in the 1920's and has completely devestated the woodland floor here. We battle it daily, and the surrounding woods are completely overrun with it. It grows so agressively here (esp. this time of year) that I feel like if I stand still too long on the edge of our yard it will reach out and drag me into the woods. I see you are in zone 6b, as am I (outside Phila). If you want to see this completely run amuck, use google earth to "drive" eastbound on 76 between Conshohocken and the city; look up onto the (northfacing) slopes along the highway and you will see dense, oppressive vines choking out everything else. Nothing stands a chance against it without herbicide and selective planting (we've tried various mowed grasses that tolerate broadleaf weed killer with the best success). If you're thinking of planting this in 6b, I can send you pictures of what it will be like in 50 years...

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb!

No worries, unless you are trying to make a sales pitch here, there's no reason you can't talk about plants.

A. quinata absolutely meets the criteria you described and more, and has been observed invading from zone 5 to 8. Debating it is a meaningless exercise. Fire up the google and you'll get articles from a myriad of reputable sources.

The link above from eliza goes to invasive.org, the entity to which the US Forest Service refers people to investigate invasive species whether or not they are on the list of species for which the Forest Service has a control and/or eradication program. You can see it at the bottom of the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: US Forest Service invasive species info

• bogturtle
    11 years ago

Mine is white-flowered and has never born seeds. It may be you need two distinctly different individuals, near each other. I do not know.
    But if I see a seed pod I will destroy it.
    A raging green thing, needing trimming back several times a season. Have seen no sprouts, at a distance from the main vine, but they may come.

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County