Return to the Vines Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picture of my Wisteria / 75 years old and still going

Posted by sandyl TN (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 6:53

The picture was taken yesterday April 13th/2010. Much prettier than this pictures showes it to be. Sandy
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picture of my Wisteria / 75 years old and still going

I love wisteria - but that one looks a bit like an 'eat the building' type :-) It's hard to tell from the picture - is it on a single trunk? I've got a Chinese one and a Japanese one, both being grown as 'trees'. I've got my fingers crossed that the Japanese one will bloom this year as I see 'flowering wood' on it. A book I have on wisteria talks about 500+ year old Chinese ones and 1000+ year old Japanese ones - so yours is just a baby still :-) I figure future owners of this house may curse me!

o

That is gorgeous!

I'm the same as you woodyoak. I have several Chinese Wisteria Vines but I have them growing on an arbor next to my house!

I plan on trying to grow them and control them but if I can't I'm not unwilling to cut them down.

I love the look of Wisteria and if I am able to control them any future owners of my house may want to cut them down LOL

o

WOW!!! Looks like you did what I did, just let it take over the tree next to it.

Nice to hear that I'll have mine the rest of my life. It's only 23 yrs old and I'm 50, so I guess we'll have each other for a while yet. That's ok, I always cut a bunch of blooms and bring them in the house, they last a long time as cut flowers and smell so nice.

The only thing I did different from you is that I wouldn't let mine anywhere near a structure. I planted it on the other side of the blacktop driveway from the house.

How big around is the main trunk on yours? And does yours bloom on and off all summer? Mine does, but not as much as it does in the spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vines Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here