Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

One more question for Ron-Convolvulaceae :0)

phylrae
16 years ago

Ron,

Thank you SO much for responding to my previous post about MGs...I copied and pasted all of the urls you sent me, and learned a lot. I guess I STILL have one question though, that I'm not sure if you can address real directly?

Ok, if I gave you the macro/micro nutrient levels/ratio on the potting mix, could you tell whether or not I should use it, or should I just start out with topsoil or buy PLAIN potting soil?

Here is info from the label:

Guaranteed Analysis: 0.10-0.08-0.06 with 0.01 sulfur

(0.04% Ammmoniacal nitrogen/0.03% Nitrate nitrogen/0.03% Urea nitrogen)

Does this mean it has too much nitrogen (resulting in lush foliage & little flowering) for the amount of phosphate & potash?

Sorry for being a pain here-

:0) Phyl

Comments (2)

• ron_convolvulaceae
    16 years ago

Hi Phyl,

The NPK ratio of the fertilizer that you mentioned is relatively low and shouldn't impair flowering...

Compost tea is an excellent nutrient supplement that helps boost the natural mycorrhizal relationship with the roots...

You might want to pick up on some phosphorus based bloom booster for some extra pizazz during the flowering phase...

TTY,...

Ron

P.S.

Some supplementary aspects to ponder whenever you might feel like it...

There are a total of from 16 to 20 elements that are considered essential to plant growth...the exact number of micronutrients considered as essential to complete a full cycle of growth will vary according to the species of plant...

Trace minerals are micronutrients that are needed for a variety of reasons,but helping to stimulate the reproductive processes is well established...
    liquid kelp is a good source of trace minerals...

The micro-flora that grow on the root surfaces are a major modulator of how nutrients and other chemicals are both absorbed and processed,thus affecting the plants metabolism in a big way..

The usage of well matured compost which will may often contain micro-organisms that will not readily feed on fresh plant material,but is more inclined to feed on organic material that has already been variously well decomposed...these micro-organisms compete with and often suppress organisms that have more of an appetite for fresh living material like stalks and seed embryos...

Plants form special mycorrhizal relationships in conjuction with mycorrhization helper bacteria (MHB),with beneficial organisms that assist the roots to absorb nutrient and metabolism modifying substances...every plant family,genus,species and even individual plants form special rhizosphere microflora and microfauna relationships that can vary in specificity from very general to exceptionally specific in that each plant can have a very individualistic combination of microflora on and around the roots that respond in a feedback system to the secretions exuded by the plants roots......these symbiotic relationships exert a profound influence on the chemistry of the entire plant by modifying and modulating many chemical equations at and around the environment of the roots...

• phylrae
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much, Ron!
    I am going to get those seeds planted right now!
    :0)) Phyl