Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnaw_gw

Clematis

johnaw
15 years ago

I would like to know of some very good places to buy Clematis's? What would be the best ones for my area? I am looking for something different than the ordinary.

Comments (16)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

John, unless you have some very good nurseries in your area, it will be highly unlikely that you will find anything out of the ordinary. If you could specify what you are looking for in terms of things "different than the ordinary", I would be more than glad to direct you to appropriate mail order sources.

• johnaw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I guess that I should have said that I would like a Clematis that you do not see around here, all the nurseries around here carry only a few Clematis and I know that there are Mail Order Sources that only carry Clematis and they most have a BIG SELECTION of different types and Colors that will grow in your ZONE. This way of going will benefit you as will as them.

You are at the Nurseries Mussy for they pick what they want not what you may want. By going where they only grow clematis you will be able to see what is available that will grow in your ZONE and you will be much happier for knowing you pick what you really like in color and shape.

I hope that this explains what I meant.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

Most people probably think all clematis are deep purple/blue like Jackmani (sp?) because when I drive around, that's all I see. Local nurseries are beginning to stock a larger selection. I was able to find 2 Viticelli clems last year at the nursery I pass every day.

There are a number of mail order sources that folks use. Chalk Hill is one. I ordered from Completely Clematis and was very satisfied. There are a couple of others that I can't remember. Someone here will.

Be prepared. When you see all that is offered, you might be overwhelmed like I was!

• hardin
    15 years ago

Try gardencrossings.com as they have a good selection and when you get them in the mail they are packed wonderful and the plants look really great. I just ordered a Crystal Fountain clem from them. I was impressed.

• johnaw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is there any one here in Ohio or on the East Coast or on the other side of Ohio Or Down South that have Clematis ?

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

I wouldn't order from Completely Clematis unless you want to pay a premium price for a much smaller clematis than you would get from most others for less. There are tons of mail order companies that sell better clematis for less like Brushwood, Chalk Hill, Garden Crossings, Joy Creek, Seneca Hills Perennials, and probably a few others that I can't think of for right now. For smaller plants but that will quickly grow to good sized plants when potted up and grown out for a season there are Donahues Clematis and Koi Garden.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    15 years ago

Silver Star was another people like on the Clematis Forum.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Oops, can't believe I left out Silver Star Vinery. Debbie sells large gallon sized plants. Have heard great things about the clematis from Klehms Song Sparrow but have never actually ordered from them--one of the few places I haven't ordered from yet.

• johnaw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I could not find Silver Star Vinery, All that came up was Silver Star Winery.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Try this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Star Vinery

• critterkeeper
    15 years ago

Is there a way to take successful cuttings from my current vines? I don't want to move the whole plants, just add to different spots around the property. . .

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

See the following link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis from cuttings

• wallis104
    15 years ago

Hope I'm not too late to give a testimonial for Silver Star Vinery.....

Two years ago, I wrote to Debbie and told her that I "suffered from Clematis envy".... I've always admired these incredibly beautiful plants in other's gardens but had to admit was somewhat "afraid" of them.

Long story short - Debbie helped me pick out 2 plants to start with.... we now have 8....

When you purchase from Debbie, you'll be amazed at the root system of the plants you'll receive. As suggested, we planted them on a 45 degree angle to give the roots the best opportunity to spread.... Our plants are thriving....

Debbie gives "beyond excellent" customer service.... shipping is lightning fast.... You'll feel like you've ordered from a close friend....

Wish I could post a photo here for you to see.... Make sure you go to her web-site to see photos of the root system you'll receive... they are true actual photos !!!

I'm sure if you order from Debbie, you'll be thrilled and most likely will become addicted to Clematis just like everyone else !!!

Good luck - janice

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Star Vinery

• wallis104
    15 years ago

I'll post some photos on the gallery section of this forum..... janice

• brandyray
    15 years ago

For inexpensive, Koigardenclub.com
    They have sales regularly- fall and spring- and sell the clems for 6.00 each. They even had a sale back in the fall in which Gardenwebbers were able to buy for 5.00 each! That said, the size varies a good bit. The ones I got in the fall were considerably larger than the ones I got in the spring. But Jerome at koi is good about answering emails, and they have even more available at his ebay site. Brandy

• loloo
    15 years ago

Didn`t see Nelly Moser named. Very popular up here, East Coast Canada, zone 5b. Google " clematis, Nelly Moser" Great pics. She`s a lovely pink/white one. Good luck