Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericf_gw

trumpet vine or something else?

ericf
13 years ago

On the south side of my property, there is a fence about 3 feet from the house. I need to keep that open as a passageway to the backyard for bikes, trash bins, etc. It will get a concrete sidewalk pour, but I can leave spaces for planting as long as the plants don't bulge out from the wall excessively.

There is also an unsightly view: the fence itself and the neighbor property. The fence is about 8 feet high, but from inside the house I can see right over it and into the neighbor's kitchen porch, which is... not to my taste.

So, needing something that will grow flat on the north side of the fence, but that will eventually get a lot of sun.

Trumpet vine, with its drought tolerance, fast evergreen growth, ability to climb a fence, and tolerance of shade/sun seems like just the plant. But I see many here wringing their hands about it taking over the world.

How concerned do I need to be about it crossing the 3 feet to the house?

How wide will it spread from the point where the roots are? I am going to put a shed against the fence 40 feet away. Will I be fighting to keep it from tearing the shed apart?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida